I’m very disorganized. It’s a symptom of my ADHD. That disorganization has caused me to lose gear countless times and losing track of my D700 is the sole reason I upgraded to a D750. Being disorganized also makes being productive a challenge once spills into my desk.
I had been watching a lot of Casey Neistat blogs on YouTube lately, and saw one where, during his studio renovation, made a gear room that looked almost like an armory. It was impressive and, though I didn’t have nearly as much gear as he did, mine was in just as much disarray. I couldn’t shake that concept. And as I looked at my workspace, I knew I had to do something. I finally had the motivation to hyper focus on fixing it.
With a half-formed plan in my head, I headed down to Home Depot to buy supplies. $48 later, I made my way home to begin work. I started by marking spots on the wall where I wanted to hang the first shelf. I then screwed in the first bracket and made my marks for the second bracket, using a level to ensure the shelf would be straight.
My brackets in place, I secured the shelf and placed a couple of camera bodies on the shelf.
I repeated the process for the second shelf, mounting it 16″ above the first.
I owned several tripods: a large carbon fiber one and a handful of miniatures. I had a second travel tripod, but that’s another lost item. With just the one large tripod to mount, I chose the empty space beside the shelves and drilled a ladder-hook into the wall.
With storage built for the majority of my gear, the next thing to work on was adding a small shelf and panel for my GoPros. To save money, I bought a larger board than I needed, planning to cut it down at home.
I don’t have a wood shop, or a garage, or any place to do woodworking. Instead, I have a lanai with a 6″ wide railing that, in desperation, can be used as a work surface. For small cuts, such as a particle board shelf, it works well enough.
My pieces made, I began to drill them into my desk. This desk, a simple one from Ikea, originally came with a metal side panel and a side shelf. Over the years, after several moves, they had been damaged and, rather than fixing them, I tossed them into the trash because they were never used. Now, here I was building new ones.
I bought a series of hooks to hang my Karma grip, GoPro mounting straps, and a few other large gear items. Since I couldn’t find my chest strap, I was left wondering how to arrange the hooks. I ended up placing 3 hooks based on the gear I had now, and if I ever found my other strap, I’d figure it out then.
I took a step back. It looked good, but something was missing. I needed labels.
The label maker is my son’s favorite toy. I don’t know why, he doesn’t know how to work it or make it do anything, but I also don’t know why he thinks a stud finder is a cell phone. He’s not even 2 years old yet, so I’m not concerned. I took the label maker from him and made up a batch of labels, one for each item.
I peeled off the backing tape and carefully placed each label on the front edge of a shelf.
I then realized I was missing another camera: my Nikon KeyMission 360. I adjusted my GoPros, making a spot for the 360 cam for whenever I found it. I had seen it recently, in the last couple of weeks. I knew it was around, I just didn’t know where.
This was the type of problem I was planning on avoiding in the future. Now, everything has a spot. Everything is easy to get to. It is organized, efficient. The new system has so much potential. I’m excited by it!